Sunday, June 17, 2012

WTF? Auto Copyright Content Claim FAIL

Copyright holders have been fussing with Google for a few years now over copyright issues on YouTube. "You should be able to auto-yank copyrighted content" and "Ban infringers" and trying to get laws passed that violate the very principles this nation was founded on.

There is no innocent until proven guilty with the Copyright Maximalist crowd. Ban, Ban, Yank without a second thought.

However, as this example proves, the current systems that allows content to be claimed by the copyright holders is too open to abuse.

I made this little snippit video one day after our 10 man alt raid made it to the LootShip fight in Dragon Soul. It was about the same time Eminem released his new album, and I had this song on replay.

We had taken a time out to allow the raid leader to explain this fight to us, because we were kind of surprised to have made it this far this fast. Patch 4.3 had dropped on Nov. 29th, and here we were on Dec 13th already to the 6th boss in Dragon Soul.

This song was resounding in my head, I thought the graphics around the ship were amazing, and Uprise, the rogue that keeps running around, was cracking me up.



Short little clip, 1:13 in length.

Let's take a closer look at the YouTube Page.


The song is "Not Afraid" off of Eminem's Recovery Album. I had actually pre-ordered the album from iTunes so was able to get the entire album the day it came out. I used iTunes to extract as MP3, where I then imported it into Windows Media Player to merge with this Frapps video I took. 


I received another copyright notification, which I kinda expected I guess, but what I wasn't expecting was 2 of the links they slapped on my page. Let's take a closer look:


First - someone +1'd this on their Google+. That's fine

Second - Where the hell did this come from? If you click that link, it takes you to something called Aberdeen and North. Some sort of news broadcast. How on earth did they ever think that clicking that link would even come close to taking you to the full version of Eminem's "Not Afraid Song". 



Third - Artist: Eminem, this is YouTube's auto-generated playlist for the artist. No problem there.
Fourth - Buy: This is good, list of places to buy the song. I'm OK with that. 
Fifth - Contains Content from STV news - WTF??? WAT???


I have racked my brain trying to figure this one out. I cannot, for the life of me, find anything in the video I created that STV would even be able to claim copyright on. This was Eminem's song, and a Fraps video I TOOK, on my own computer, with my own paid for version of Fraps while I was in my paid for version of World of Warcraft. 

I have tried submitting to YouTube support, just to be ignored. Maybe someday, someone can use this to prove just how out of control automating copyright infringement reporting can get. 






1 comment:

  1. Looks like YouTube has fixed it.

    http://youtu.be/W-orLz1vYxQ

    After the NASA thing...
    http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120806/11053019945/curiositys-mars-landing-video-disappears-youtube-due-to-bogus-copyright-claim.shtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

    ReplyDelete