Sunday, June 17, 2012

Fair Use? Or Copyright Infringement?

This was my first experience with going up against a Copyright Infringement accusation.

Back in 2005, I went on a trip to the Bahamas on a Royal Caribbean cruise. One of the first stops the ship made was a little island owned by Royal Caribbean called CoCo Cay.

 This being my first experience outside of the States, and the first ever on a tropical island, I wanted to capture this moment of what it was like to show my friends and family. The sun, the wind, the surf, the music, the atmosphere were all aspects I wanted to be able to relive when I was older, and also share the experience with my children.

 I sat down at a picnic table, took out my camera, set it on the table, and pressed record.
 

The whole video is only about a minute long, and I added nothing to this video. Mind you, I don't have AdSense set up on my YouTube account at all.

In 2006, I uploaded the video to YouTube after a discussion I had with some people at church. One of the young ladies was from Nassau, and had never heard of CoCo Cay.

In 2011, I got a notification from YouTube that my video had copyrighted content and that even though they weren't going to take down my video, they slapped information about how to purchase the songs from iTunes. I now see that they have also added Google Play and AmazonMP3, and a link to the Artist on YouTube.  I kinda like that part, it's a Win-Win, in my opinion.

The biggest thing I didn't like is how the email from YouTube made it sound like I was a dirty thief, when this video was nothing more than a camera being set on a picnic table and the record button being pressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment