Sunday, June 17, 2012

Anti is a Dirty Pirate

It's nearing the end of the expansion. People are tired of doing the same raids over and over. It's just getting into summer time and people want to go AFK for swimming, BBQ, poker tournaments, and movies. Diablo 3 also just came out, and a lot of people are off playing that. 25 man progression had kind of hit the proverbial wall, and a lot of people would rather go AFK than wipe on the same heroic bosses over and over.

Our 25 man ranks are starting to shrivel down to where we have to do 2 10-man groups for our weekday raids.

I personally prefer 25 man raiding. There is just something about the epicness of having 25 people gathered together trying to kill a boss. Anyone can do 10 man raids, but 25 man......that is a lot of work.

This past week was the first time in a couple of months in which we had to do dual 10 man raids. It's always kind of frustrating, no matter how you sort out the players, there is usually one group that ends up killing either more bosses, or kills things faster. The end of Wrath, when we were in ICC for almost a whole year, there were issues with people in guild feeling like there was an A and a B team. That's why we try to stick with doing 25 man raids, so there isn't any of that kind of fuss going on.


This past week the 10 man raid I was in ended up getting down 2 more bosses on heroic than we had done in the 25's. It was kind of bittersweet: nice to get the kill, but sad for the people that couldn't be/wasn't there with us. I went ahead and got everything set so that we could show the rest of the people that attend the 25 man raids what to expect.


I have 2 monitors set up on my computer. The 22" screen is where I play WoW, and the 19" is where I have Mumble, Chrome and Fraps running. Chrome is generally opened up to YouTube and I have a playlist of songs just for playing while raiding. 

On Zon'ozz, once we got the strat down pat, I went ahead and set up to record from the beginning of the pull. Most of the time when we post our kills, we add separate music and mute out the mumble conversations. However, I left the mumble conversations in this time so that people in guild could get a feel for how the fight goes, and what type of communication is needed.




From a copyright discussion standpoint you can barely hear Coldplay's - Sparks playing in the background in YouTube. How exactly does that work? Am I a dirty pirate?

I can tell you........

So this is the Heroic Lootship encounter we did on Wed night. We have never experienced this fight in 25 or 10 man mode on Heroic. We had wiped a few times, and after we pulled this one time, something told me to just record.

I hit F9, my hotkey for Fraps to start recording the encounter.

Again, I had YouTube in the background, this time playing Def Leppard, because I was on a Def Leppard kick for some reason that night. However, since I figured we were going to spend all night wiping on this boss, I had it playing louder than normal, just jamming during the fights/wipes.

Except, this time, I was recording, and I didn't have time to go to the 2nd screen to adjust the volume. I wasn't going to wipe the raid because I needed to turn down the music. Plus I did set up mumble to turn the volume down on all other sounds so that I could make sure the instructions from the other raiders were clearly heard.




Yes, we did end up getting our guild first Heroic Lootship kill in this recording.

I uploaded the video for the rest of the guild to be able to review to understand how to do the fight, from our guilds perspective.

The next day I got the following warning:



It appears that the only thing they have done is add the Artist and Buy links. I'm fine with that.

I guess I just don't understand, it's perfectly acceptable to open a browser, go to YouTube, and watch videos. It's perfectly acceptable to open up World of Warcraft and play the game. It's perfectly acceptable to open World of Warcraft and Fraps to record what is in the game.

However, if you happen to have YouTube open at the same time you have WoW and Fraps open, and it happens to record the audio from YouTube, now it makes me a Copyright Infringer? It doesn't even matter that I had purchased the cassette tape, AND the CD when the songs originally came out, and that I wasn't adding this music specifically to these recording.

Somehow, I'm still a dirty pirate.










No comments:

Post a Comment