Thursday, July 19, 2012

Wrecka Stow

I stopped at my aunt's house after flying back from Milwaukee to visit, as it has been a while since I have visited. She has been recovering from the latest battle with breast cancer, and doing quite well, in my opinion.

Grandad passed away last fall, and my aunt has been left with a bunch of....stuff. One of the projects she needed help with that none of the family seemed interested in helping her with was getting an inventory on the  old records that were in a couple of crates around the house.

Some of these were really amazing, the detail and art that went into them:







At first the task seemed daunting, however, I knew that I wanted to spend some time chatting, and we might as well sort and chat at the same time. We made up a system of where I would pull the record out, photo the front and back cover (and any inside covers), write down the artist and album name, and hand it to her. She would then pull the record out, look at the quality of the record, and I would write that down.

We got so efficient with this system that we would go through the motions, and then forget to write down the quality of the record. It was fun.

I have been so upset with the copyright fuss, and mad at the RIAA for what, in my opinion, was them over reaching on telling US how to enjoy music. It wasn't until I started reading the backs of some of these records that I hit the 'aha!' moment. The RIAA has been telling us for YEARS how to enjoy our media.



I also had to laugh. I guess at some point, the RIAA was non-profit. Are they still?



I also wonder what happened to the whole 'Public Performance Clearance - ASCAP'. Can't we apply that online too?






No comments:

Post a Comment